Thursday 19 March 2009

Awakening

Feeling a little envious having just read Greg's blog about fabulous walks around Auckland. I love to walk, I love to be with nature, see my surroundings, feel the magic of being alive. Yesterday I walked through awakening birch and hornbeam woods and across the newly green fields to Knebworth. On Sunday Andy and I walked almost 6 miles from home, again through woods with the first hint of emerging bluebells, up and down muddy tracks, across the wide open space of farmers fields to Tewin. We marvelled at the sudden eruption of the blue "glory of the snow" and stripped off our jackets as the warm spring sunshine and slow incline increased our temperatures. I remembered to stop and stand still, take in the view, the old and new, the strong, steady victorian viaduct at Digswell, the imposing white monster that is the Shredded Wheat factory. The World is wonderful, the Earth has much glory wherever we are. Finding wonder and joy in my surroundings brings me a sense of peace and fulfillment. Yes I'd love to live by the sea, by lakes, by mountains, I'd appreciate more sunshine, less cloud, but, by living in the moment there can be no greater place than where I am. Life is good.

1 comment:

  1. I just love the descriptive way that you write. You remind me of our cousin, James, with your open view of how you see the things that are open for others to see in their surroundings, yet are so easily missed by so many. Alas, I don't have that gift, but I can still appreciate good writing.

    Now that I know where it comes from, I'll never look at a Shredded Wheat the same way again!

    ReplyDelete